Monday, September 3, 2012

Crapticon!

Well, that smarts. I forgot to up the contrast, which I do sometimes so that my work is visible. Dang it all. I am not rescanning them again because I have a roast beef in the oven and Greek green beans, aka, "Candied Green Beans" (how does 1/4 t. of sugar work out to be so deliciously sweet?) and my scanner is slooow. And my paper is the wrong size. It's the paper I've been using for the past few pieces, and you'd think I'd learn that it's a PITA to scan it as I squeeze the scanner cover to the base of the scanner. You'd think, wouldn't you?

Both of these were done in the style of Julie Mehretu, at least what I think of when I think of her. The first time I ever saw one of her paintings at the Walker in Minneapolis I near about fell on the floor - how did she get into my head? Her work is the way that I frequently imagine the world but have been unable to get onto paper. So here is my homage to her, in her style by my hand.

A Place of Dreaming

A Sense of Humor

I would like to endorse the following:
  • Foyle's War starring Michael Kitchen and Honeysuckle Weeks. It's quiet, it's thoughtful, it's set in WWII England. Honestly, Christopher Foyle is the grown-up the world is so dreadfully short of.
  • Cava Mezze. I love this place. I love the falafel. I love the Crazy Feta. I love that they compost about 90% of their garbage. What?
  • Greek Green Beans, as mentioned above. About six minutes hands on time, about 45 minutes cook time, and delicious, delicious green beans, even for those of us who really detest green beans.
It should go without saying, but probably doesn't, I'm not at all compensated for saying this. I just thought you might like to know how I felt about Foyle's War, a restaurant you probably can't eat at, and Greek Green Beans.

HAPPY LABOR DAY....
Remember the struggles

No comments:

Post a Comment