Thursday, October 8, 2015

"June 1972"


Fun fact: it used to be common, in agricultural areas, to have a long break between wedding ceremony and reception. Not for the usual modern reasons of poor planning or needing to get shnookered in order to enjoy your reception, but so that those with livestock could go home and tend to the animals. My mother told me this a few years ago, and I realized afresh that I am from a small town and an agricultural background.

This is not my parents' wedding, but my mother's bridesmaids did wear coral, and I drew Carl and Marie Quast in this picture. I think they were guests at my parents' wedding, albeit thirty years younger than I remember and drew them, and they were and are neighbors of my grandparents (so to speak).

The inspiration for this drawing was St. John's Lutheran Church in Goodhue, Minnesota and all the pictures of 1960s and 1970s weddings of my parents, aunts and uncles. It was a great time thinking of all these times and people as I drew.

No comments:

Post a Comment